xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:og="http://ogp.me/ns#" Goes the Distance: The Old Family

Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Old Family

7.26 pm ..Oct23....
The phone rings and gets handed to me...
"Hello ?"
"Hi Baap !"....sounds deadly familiar...Holy Mother of God !
Turn down that song and say again,"Haalo!!!???"
"Hi"....
Oh...My....God!.....
"Milega Kya ?".........
"You bet !"

"Be at your place in 30min"...Click.


Got dressed in a hurry dashed for my garage.
....She was there in 20 mins...
The same old blue Nova..same worn out jacket that we picked up in college.
I hadn't changed much either..same old orange and blue jacket
..hadn't gained an ounce of weight...and still had the lamest sense of humor.
Same old...Same old.

She pulled off her helmet and I gave her a little slap...the way I always did.
Two and a half years had made no difference...
Felt like we had met just yesterday.

Nicky,Arjun and Me had been friends since Bhavan's.
Arjun and Me from BasketBall Practice....Nicky and Me from French Class.
We'd been together for 5 years and had pulled through thick and thin.
Meeting her after 2 and a half years had brought back
memories that had made and shaped me.

We spilt in 2007 after things had gotten too complicated for me to deal with....
Was going through a rough patch and didn't know how else to handle things.

But she was here now and I knew what to do next....
Dialled Arjun's number...

"Hello ?"
"Your caller tune's still the same.."
"@#$%^*....you still exist..."
"Come on over...Nicky's here too."
"Can't....maybe tomorrow."
Would take another 4 days before we could get him.

Anyway...we got on her Nova and drove around...went to the old places.
Spoke of the old days and what was goin on...
She spoke of life in Ahmedabad...
I spoke of college....and how it's comin to an end.
Still clueless as always...yet somehow...things fall in place.


Finally got Arjun over for dinner....had a blast and clicked a few pics.
It's been so long and we've not even spoke to...let alone seen each other.
The funny thing is...it doen't feel like it's been that long.

I've know today that there are certain ties that can't be broken.
and no matter how long or far it's been...some things still feel like yesterday.
When I'm with these guys...My life changing over these 3 years seems to never have happened.
But it speaks for the equation we have and how we're connected...beyond time and distance.

To put things in perspective...
The newer bonds and affections that have grown on me....
I would want them to stand the test of time and distance..like this one right here.
One already has.....it's ironic that I barely know anything...
My best knowledge being.....the amazing pictures taken and a love for hot chocolate.

Told these guys bout the trips I'd taken and we decided to take the next one together.

So...my exams start tomorrow..and I've got butterflies in my stomach...
Got to make some coffee....
If I pull through with the colors I wish for....I'll be backpackin again..
Hell I'll be backpackin anyway....maybe in between papers like I did last time !

No comments:

Post a Comment